UPDATE!!! Rain Delay!! -- Horse Pens-40 Rescheduled to Sunday November 24
Important information for all Horse Pens 40 competitors!
Please read thoroughly!
Horse Pens 40 is located in Steele, Alabama. See the official Horse Pens 40 website for complete directions to and information about the boulderfield/campground.
If you are a registered Triple Crown/Horse Pens-40 competitor, there is NO CAMPING FEE for SATURDAY NIGHT. Triple Crown and Horse Pens-40 will cover the cost of camping for Saturday.
However, anyone planning to come/camp on Sunday must cover the cost for Sunday night.
***There are several hotel options in nearby Gadsden, but we encourage everyone to support Horse Pens 40 by camping there on Saturday!
It will be a ton of fun!
Spectators are welcome to attend this event. The price for spectators is $20/person paid directly to Horse Pens 40. However, spectators will NOT be allowed to climb on the day of the event.
Under 18 competitors
If you are under 18 years old and a parent/guardian is not accompanying you to the event, you must download the Horse Pens 40 waiver and have a parent fill it out. You must then bring it with you to the check-in at Horse Pens on the day of the competition.
No dogs are allowed at Horse Pens 40! Please be respectful of the land-owners and leave your animals at home!
There is ample parking at the campground/boulderfield. However, please carpool when possible. You must park outside the gate. Look for signage and volunteers showing you where to park.
Early packet pick up Saturday November 23
Important note: Early competitor packet pick-up begins at 5:00 pm CST on Saturday November 23 (afternoon/evening before the comp). Pre-registration will end at 7:00 pm CST. Competitors will be able to PICK UP THEIR COMPETITION PACKET AND T-SHIRT at this time. This will give everyone a chance to look at the competition map, AND it will speed up the "process" on Sunday morning (more climbing time!).
Yes!! We will have beer courtesy of First Avenue and Birmingham Boulders!!
And......Yes, we will have custom stainless steel Horse Pens-40 Pints for $15!!! You'll be able to fill them with beer Saturday and Sunday free of charge!!!! Beer begins to flow at 5pm CST!
Live Music--The RyeMakers
Multi-instrumentalist Paul Morley and rhythm wizard Jonathan Stowers have teamed up to create The RyeMakers, bringing home-grown funk, blues, and progressive jazz with an aggressive metal edge to the Chattanooga area and beyond. Music begins at 6:00pm CST!
If you attended Hound Ears or Stone Fort, you got a taste of Seppe's skills on the mic and turntable. Directly after the Rye Makers………..this guy will be ready to put on an awesome show!!
Comp day packet pick up and late registration
The morning of the event (Sunday, November 24) you will need to be at Horse Pens-40 NO LATER than 7:30 am to check-in. We will not accept registrations after 9:00 am. Check-in will take place outside the gate entrance to the park on Sunday morning. REMEMBER WE ARE ON CENTRAL STANDARD TIME.
Marmot is back as the presenting sponsor for the 2019 Triple Crown!
Drop by the Marmot booth to pick up a raffle ticket for some FANTASTIC Marmot gear! Proceeds from the raffle tickets will benefit the Southeastern Climbers' Coalition! Come by the booth, score a chance at a great prize and let these guys know how much you appreciate their support of the Triple Crown and your climbing access!
Free beer (21+) Sunday after the comp - sponsored by High Point Climbing Gym!
Help us reduce our waste! Purchase the custom Horse Pens 40 stainless steel pint!
******No glass is allowed at Horse Pens 40! Please make sure your container is shatterproof!
Other points of interest
- Make sure to check out our Triple Crown facebook page for up-to-date information, articles, and great pictures from each of the competition venues in our galleries.
- You will be given one free t-shirt the morning of the event (or at pre-registration) as supply allows.
- Johnny Robinson's BBQ will be on site throughout the event!! Bring cash for food!
- There will be concessions/food available for purchase throughout the event--so bring cash. Porky's Pride Food Truck will be giving 20% of sales to our cause.
- All climbers are responsible for their own camping/hotel arrangements on Friday. We encourage folks to camp at HP-40 this weekend—please visit the Horse Pens 40 website for details/cost of camping.
- A spectator armband is $20 per person and covers spectators from anytime Saturday until sundown Sunday. If your armband is lost, a new one must be purchased in order to remain in the park. SPECTATORS CANNOT CLIMB.
- Dinner will be available for purchase from food vendors and the Horse Pens-40 restaurant—the cost will vary depending on the meal that you choose.
- There will be an SCC/AF raffle after the competition. Sign up and take a chance on walking away with even more booty, and support "the cause" at the same time.
- There will also be an opportunity to join the Southeastern Climbers' Coalition Yearly membership is just $25. Make it your goal to become proactive this year. See the SCC website for more information at www.seclimbers.org.
- The AWARDS CEREMONY will begin at 5:30pm on Sunday. There will be tons of door prizes! So if you didn't do so good at the comp don't miss it. You could still win BIG!
This event will be a ton of fun. We hope everyone has a safe trip and that you find your visit with us to be a good and memorable one.
Keep checking the website for updates as well. New photos and competition results will be posted on the Triple Crown website shortly after the event.